Greetings fellow readers! Today’s Top Ten theme from the Broke and the Bookish is top ten books i’d love to read with my book club. Since I think it would be awesome to have a Young Adult book club I decided to make my list a top five books i’d love to read with my YA book club! Click below to see my list and comment on which books you think would make excellent book club books.
So for my imaginary YA book club I picked books that make you really think. Discussion is such a big part of any book club so here are the books I think would make for interesting book club picks…
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson: Love or hate this book you will have plenty to discuss. Are you on Jenna’s side? Her parent’s? Lilly’s? Would you make the same decision or do you think they all got it wrong? What is too far when it come to medical advancement?
- Book Thief by Markus Zusak: As a World War II book it looks at a familiar topic, those Germans living inside an oppressive government but trying to do right by hiding innocent victims. However it looks at it in a whole new way, from the eyes of Death and his sightings of a girl who steals books. It will take your breath away and have you discussing it with everyone you know.
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie: This is a semi-autobiographical book about Junior who leaves behind school on the reservation for an all white school near by, and in the process becomes an outcast to some and a new fascination to others. Makes you think about community, identity, and great for discussing other cultures within America.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: While suicide is never easy to talk about it does need to be talked about and this book can easily get the discussion started.
- Giver by Lois Lowry: Ok most people probably have either read this or will have to read it for school but I had to include it. First off because it is so interesting to talk to people about (what job would they want? would the world be better off with sameness? would you do what jonas did?). And secondly because it is my favorite book (well tied with Book Thief ) so how could I not include it!
So do you agree with my picks? Have some of your own? Tell me in the comments! Don’t forget you can fill out a book request form for any of these books by clicking here.